Saturday, September 8, 2007

Miért az aquariumban vagy?

Our last activity of the language school was a skit based around the theme "An American Student in Budapest". Ours was the tragic tale of one man's search for Absinthe and dental floss. (Sorry mom, I know this video is going to be a pain for you to view, but I think it's really just one more reason you should probably ditch dial-up)


Wednesday night was celebration time: a group of us went out to Indian food at a place called Karma Sutra. The waiters spoke English, they agreed to serve us all csap víz (tap water) which is not as common as you'd think, and I paid around 3000 ft for my whole dinner, which is about $15 American. And that was for a dish with meat in it (chicken tikka masala, yumm), a side order of naan, and tip. And this place was pretty schmancy, so I was definitely felt like I got my money's worth. The trippy part of the evening came when I heard something familiar coming out of the restaurant's speakers... and realized it was Sympathique by Pink Martini. Several of us went back over to Voula's after dinner to watch 10 Things I Hate About You.



On Thursday, Voula, her roommate and I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! We accidentally used their landlady's cookie making supplies that she's brought back from the states. We gave her cookies and I wrote down my recipe for her, so hopefully that evens out my karma. They turned out really good, even though we didn't have any vanilla.



These were the crappy Indonesian batteries I bought. Do not buy them. Buy a brand you know and trust. I spent way too much just so I could get Energizers. So batteries are expensive in Hungary. I think that means you should send me batteries, because my battery charger broke when I plugged it into my adapter.



Today we went to the Buda castle, which is right next to my apartment. Lots of touristy stuff, lots of people around (there's some sort of wine festival going on there this weekend).



The Fisherman's Bastion, from near the castle.



A view of the Parliament building from the castle wall



Mad, Eva and I in front of a carved wall.



When I saw the Fisherman's Bastion today I realized that I'd been there before. It was such an intense wave of "whoa" (yes, a wave of whoa) and nostalgia for HVCC. We came here on the Eastern Europe tour with chamber choir. See? (note the little Jessie and Micaela in the front row!!)



We went into a marzipan shop. These were the little animals that were for sale.



Mad, Eva and I each bought one marzipan chocolate. Eva got one that was layered chocolate, marzipan and hazelnut. Mad's was vanilla marzipan dipped in chocolate. Mine was a sour cherry in cognac surrounded by marzipan and dipped in chocolate. Oh, the decadence!



We went exploring and found parts of the castle grounds that weren't well kept and weren't full of tourists.



Mad sitting by the staircase that we hoped would take us on an adventure, but actually just took us up to the main street full of tourists.



From the middle of the staircase, looking back down.



As we left I took this picture of the Fisherman's bastion with the Parliament building in the background. I love Budapest!


Tonight we're going to dinner at a friend's house who is making Mexican food. I'm hoping for enchiladas.

And math starts the day after tomorrow! Hooray! What we actually came here for! That day, September 10th, is also Rob's birthday. 2 weeks ago I sent him a package from Hungary which has arrived in Vancouver, he just has to pick it up from the post office... I won't let him open it until Monday, though!


One final thing is that I've figured out my schedule! I've decided that I'm going to try taking Combinatorics 2 along with Abstract 1, Number Theory, Graph Theory and Intermediate Hungarian. If I can pull that off, I won't have to take a summer class and can graduate on time. And that would be pretty fantastic.
My schedule:

No comments: