Saturday, October 6, 2007

A kicsit kutya!

This week went by really, really fast. Math is hard, school is challenging, I haven't been getting enough sleep. You know, usual school stuff. The night before last was Friday night, which meant it was definitely time to relax. Voula offered to cook dinner for Mihály, Zeb, Aaron and I, lentil soup, and Zeb and Mihály made lemon poppyseed cake. Really, quite a delicious dinner. After dinner, we sat down to watch a couple of episodes of Heroes, which is basically the crack cocaine of BSM. We started watching at 9:30 pm. At 3:00 am, 9 episodes later, we finally decided it was probably about time to go to sleep. Yeah. (I'd already seen all of those 9 episodes, so after the first 2, I fell asleep on the floor). As we were trying to fall asleep we heard a high pitched crying /yelping noise. We didn't know/care what it was, so Aaron decided that it was the Monkey Parade and we fell asleep in good spirits.

At 5:00 am I was woken by the doorbell ringing. I woke up Voula, who was sleeping next to me (Mihály on my other side and Aaron on the floor). Then I fell back to sleep and didn't wake up again until 9:00 am. When I woke up, I was alone in the bed and Aaron was still asleep on the floor. I could hear Voula and Mihály talking in the dining room so I came out to join them. And there was a puppy. A very tiny mutt puppy with brown fur and tufts on his chin. When the bell had rung at 5 am it had been a woman who lived on the 6th floor of Voula's apartment complex who had found the puppy abandoned and hadn't been able to take it in herself since she had a pitbull who would've bitten puppy in half. She asked if we could watch the puppy for just a couple hours so she could get some sleep, then deal with it. She said she'd be back around 11 am and would take the puppy then.

Puppy was cute. But puppy was still definitely a puppy. Tearing wallpaper off the wall in small chunks and trying to eat it, peeing on the rug, biting our feet. We spent the morning keeping track of him, making sure he was behaving and not eating things he shouldn't be (like wallpaper) and cleaning puppy pee out of the carpets. Mihály made us all eggs and toast for breakfast and the four of us sat on Voula's balcony drinking earl grey and eating out breakfasts while keeping an eye on pup. After breakfast puppy fell asleep on Aaron's foot and continued to sleep when we brought him inside. We watched more Heroes. About 3 episodes, in fact. After puppy woke up we played tug-o-war with one of my socks, then exiled him to the balcony so the next time he peed it wouldn't soil the rug.

11 o'clock came and went with no sign of the woman who had brought by the puppy. At 1 we finally heard a knock on the door. She was back... and tried to get Voula to watch puppy for one more day. No. No no no. She took puppy away, to the shelter or something, and left us to watch Heroes in peace. Bye bye, pup, I will miss you :(

I briefly went home around 2, just to change my shirt and eat the breakfast Éva had left out for me. Then it was off to Soho to do homework and drink Americanos with Mihály, Voula and Aaron. At dinner time we walked along the Buda side of the Danube to Margít hid (the Margít island bridge) and caught the tram to Eva's, cause she was having an open invitation burrito party. Homemade tortillas, corn, kidney beans, cheese, homemade salsa... DELICIOUS. These dinner parties tend to happen, hosted by someone or another, every weekend or two, and they're always wonderful. So far we've had an Indian food night, a Mexican night, the classy sandwich party, and burritos. Next weekend is vegetarian Hungarian food and I can't wait...

After dinner me and Voula went back to hers, and were joined about an hour later by Aaron, who told us that Mihály was too tired to come. And then we watched more Heroes. Until 4 am. And then we slept. Until 11 am. And then we ate a small breakfast and made tea... then 2 more episodes of Heroes and the whole season was complete! Now we can get our lives back!

Now! For the completing of my homework, the telephoning of my parents, the purchasing and consuming of cookies, the acquiring of dinner, and the talking to of my sweetie.

And then starts the beginning of another week.

No comments: